Elysa F-c, the US
(Beyond Shadows, Deepest Sleep)
1. For the first question we want to know when did you start to play the bass guitar? Was it easy for you to learn bass?
I started playing bass the Summer before I began High school Was it easy for you to learn bass? Well, I had been playing the violin in school, so I had some background knowledge of 4-stringed instruments. I did originally want to play the drums, but since I was living in an apartment building at the time that wasn’t possible, since I had neighbors…so I compromised and took the next closest thing to a rhythm instrument that someone would play in a band…I taught myself the bass guitar, so it took me a long time to actually build my skills, but I spent hours every day after high school learning different songs and eventually it got easier.
2. Playing on the bass for you is… Hobby? Job? Lifestyle?
Bass for me at the moment is a hobby, there was a time I hoped it could become more, and maybe it still can, but at the moment I am working on other areas of my career.
3. Who is your musical inspiration among bassists?
There are so many! Growing up, I was really into Justin Chancellor from Tool and Chi Cheng from the Deftones, D’arcy from the Smashing Pumpkins, Kim Deal from the Pixies and Breeders, Chris Squire from YES, Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath, Paul McCartney, Ellie Erickson from Erase Errata….the list could go on!
4. Do you play any other musical instruments? If you start to learn another one which would you like?
I’d love to play cello and/or tablas as my next instruments if I ever have the chance to learn new ones…and I would still like to learn to play the drums one day
5. Tell us about the projects in which you participate?
I am unfortunately not collaborating with anyone at the moment, but in the past I have been involved in many different projects including Beyond Shadows, a melodic death metal band, and In Deepest Sleep, a progressive rock all female band.
6. What do you feel on live performances? How friendly and open are you with your fans?
I absolutely love playing live….I don’t know if I will ever lose the nerves that come along with playing live, but for me playing live is exciting and I just love sharing music I believe in with other people. Every fan to me is an honor and I love hearing feedback from others about the music I am playing and to know people are enjoying the music I’m making is the best; there’s nothing without the fans!
7. What do you like except music? Can you imagine yourself in other areas of life?
Aside from music, I enjoy spending time with my family, particularly my wife and cats. I am very much in other areas of my life right now, I am currently a Social Worker/Program Manger at a community center and that is another huge piece of my life. Even through music, I was always interested in being able to bring people together and promote social justice, so I am happy to have a job in another area that allows me to do that as well.
8. Maybe other bass players or those who start to learn bass are reading this article now. Let’s talk about technical stuff. Which brand do you prefer? Does quality of music depend on the guitar’s brand or of the skill of the bass player?
My favorite bass is a customized (due to an unfortunate incident where the headstock broke many years ago) Andreas Shark 5-string bass, so it was already a relatively obscure brand that now has a complete different neck than the original bass. I do also like Ibanez, which was my original bass, and some other brands, but this is the one that has stuck with me. I think it’s good to start out with something that fits your hands comfortably in terms of neck size, etc., and then the skill will come with lots of dedication and practice. People always say playing bass is easy, and I always responded to say that being GOOD at bass is not. Of course it is nice to be able to have great high end equipment, but it is really about the dedication and passion of the player themselves I believe that makes the music sound good.
9. And the last question is about your musical dreams and plans. What are you planning for the future? What are you dreaming about? What should we wish for you?
As for the future, I am definitely looking to get back into playing music. I want to just have a good time with some like minded people, create some songs and play shows locally.