Marko Dta, the US
1. For the first question we want to know when did you start to play the bass guitar? Was it easy for you to learn bass?
I started playing bass guitar around 4 years ago when me and my friend Matti Jade decided to create the band i’m in right now, Downtown Attraction. Before that i was a guitar player for almost 10 years. The transaction from one instrument to the other wasn’t too traumatic for me. The only thing with bass guitar is that you really need to focus your attention on the drums. Drums and bass need to be the same instrument… You can’t mess that up.
2. Playing on the bass for you is… Hobby? Job? Lifestyle?
Playing the bass for me is… Everything. I am lucky enough to play in a band with a lot of talented people and me, like all my band members, are very focus and ambitious to make this big love in music that we have into a career. Almost 1 year ago we got a record deal from this L.A. Record label and now we are doing a record with the producer Mike Clink (Guns n Roses, Metallica etc.). We feel very blessed to be able to work with people with so much talent and experience.
3. Who is your musical inspiration among bassists?
I am a heavy rock/ punk rock kid. I love heavy bass players like Duff Mckagan, Twiggy from the Marilyn Manson, Rex Brown from Pantera…and I have always been a big FLEA fan (who isn’t?!). The heavier the better for me…But don’t forget the melody!
4. Do you play any other musical instruments? If you start to learn another one which would you like?
Like I already said, before being in DOWNTOWN ATTRACTION i was playing guitar in a couple of different bands. When I was 8 I took Piano lessons as well. I think I did that for 2 years. To be honest with you if I had time to learn another instrument I would start playing Piano again. Piano to me is an amazing instrument and there is soooo much you can do with it. It has an amazing sound, very full but still very warm. I was always in love with it
5. Musical instrument with which you can be associated with is…
Bass guitar & electric guitar.
6. Tell us about the projects in which you participate?
I play bass guitar in Downtown Attraction. We are a Los Angeles based Band. We love to be as heavy and fast as possible… Without forgetting about melodies and big choruses. We don’t care about what people think about us. We like to be in your face. It’s a very simple concept.
7. What do you feel on live performances? How friendly and open are you with your fans?
Live performances are the main part of every Rock N Roll band. PERIOD. To me being on stage and able to put all your energy and frustration out AND at the same time being able to share all these feelings with your own fans is PRICELESS. Live performances can be very intimate sometimes. About our fans I try to be as close as possible to them. I always try to answer their questions about the band and/or the shows that we have. Time is tight sometimes but you gotta do your best to create a good relationship with your followers.
8. What do you like except music? Can you imagine yourself in other areas of life?
Well being a big Arnold Schwarzenegger Fan yes I do! I don’t think that in all my life Music will be the only think I will be doing. Definitely it will always be my biggest love and i do not deny that. But I am really into fitness too so I wouldn’t mind doing something related to that in the future… We’ll see.
9. Maybe other bass players or those who start to learn bass are reading this article now. Let’s talk about technical stuff. Which brand do you prefer? Does quality of music depend on the guitar’s brand or of the skill of the bass player?
Well that’s a great question Julie. I use an homemade prototype ALUMINUM bass guitar called „normandy”. They are made in Salem, Oregon and they really are amazing instruments. But I really believe that the way you are playing does 90% of the job. Think about old guitar blues players… Old shitty guitars but soo much soul and talent.
10. And the last question is about your musical dreams and plans. What are you planning for the future? What are you dreaming about? What should we wish for you?
My plans for the future is finishing my album(it should be done by December 2014 and be released by the first quarter of 2015) and go on tour. My one wish is being one of the biggest rock n roll band ever stepped on a stage. No joke